Because the garage is the second largest item on your property, the installation of a new garage door will have a significant impact on how your property looks; it is “curb appeal.” Your garage will first need to be cleared of all debris, including boxes and other odds and ends. Once this has been done, you can begin choosing the garage door that will fit your needs. Garage door companies offer a large selection of garage doors, so learn more and take the time to look at some of the following features:
* Garage Door Repair Spills – Every garage door opener experiences breaks or parts needing replacement at one point or another. Whether these breaks are due to excessive use or natural wear and tear, it is important to keep these parts in good repair for a long time. For the most part, garage doors that are in decent shape require only minor repairs. Most of the time, these repairs consist of some cleaning and lubrication and a small amount of re-stamping. If you are planning on having a new garage door installation, this is an option that you should not overlook.
* Garage Door Opener Repairs – If you are planning on having a new garage door installation, it is advisable to hire a professional installer. These installers have the skills and experience necessary to properly install your new doors. They will also have the ability to perform door adjustments, which is important if you want to avoid the common problem of the springs getting out of adjustment. Springs that are out of adjustment pose a serious safety hazard. Not only can this happen when you try to close your garage doors, it can also happen if the door malfunctions and fails to open.
* Gate Locks – This is probably the most important aspect of any new garage door installation. Make sure that the new installation does not include any loose or broken parts. Having loose parts is a serious safety issue. Not only can this happen when you try to close your doors, it can also happen when you attempt to pick up or drop something. The last thing that you would want is for your gate to accidentally open, causing a potentially dangerous scenario.
* Durable Shutters – The shutters that you install on your residential garage doors need to be extremely high quality. These shutters are made using a heavy grade aluminum, powder coated for maximum durability and protection from the elements. The high quality shutter material will last for many years while keeping your energy bills low. In addition to the energy savings, installing new high quality shutters will also add aesthetic value to your property. In the past, purchasing new residential garage doors was inconvenient as they often came with old, ugly shutters that needed to be replaced regularly.
* Sensors and Opener – Most of the time, high quality garage doors will come with a safety sensor. This safety sensor will detect an object hanging in front of the garage before the door comes on. Most of the time, this detector will also include a heat signature so that it will warn the opener if there is a hot object. By including safety sensors and an opener that have an infrared safety feature, you can avoid many instances where the door may unexpectedly come on.
* Garage Doors Tensioning – If you are planning on having a new garage doors installed, make sure that you have the torsion spring setup properly. A common mistake is to have the springs loaded with excessive tension. This can be extremely dangerous and cause your garage doors to unexpectedly come on when there is no one at home. To prevent this problem, make sure that you have the torsion spring setup with enough tension to counteract the force of the door. This will ensure that your doors will come on safely even without someone inside.
* Garage Door Seal – Most garage doors will come with a special sealer that can help protect the garage from rain and snow damage. Make sure that you follow the instructions on how to properly install this sealant. This special seal is also helpful in preventing insects and rodents from entering your garage. Before you install this special coating, make sure that you test it first so that you can determine if your garage is adequately protected.